Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Paper Reading #6: Adaptive Mouse: A Deformable Computer Mouse Achieving Form-Function Synchronization

Comments
Comment #1: Shena Hoffmann
Comment #2: Steven Hennessy

Reference Information
Title: Adaptive Mouse: A Deformable Computer Mouse Achieving Form-Function Synchronization
Authors: Sheng Kai Tang, Wen Yen Tang
Conference: CHI 2010 Atlanta, GA, USA

Summary
This paper discusses the implementation of the Adaptive Mouse, which is adaptable for both left and right-handed users which produces accurate cursor feedback, to demonstrate form-function synchronization. This new design with embedded row column sensing the mouse is able to adapt to its input. In order implement that design the Palm Terrain study was performed with 30 individuals and they were asked to perform 6 steps. One, hold the mouse with their right hand; two, press with the fore-finger; and third, press with the middle-finger and repeat those three steps for the left hand. After they analyzed the data they found out that their was some consistent locations with left and right handed users pressed, allowing them to implement the dynamic button location. Even with the circular shape of the mouse the sensing was directional using a formal for optical sensor calibration. While their study both had benefits and drawbacks this marked the beginning of their research to improve their adaptive mouse in future work.

Adaptive Mouse design (Source: publication)


Discussion
I found this paper to consist of an interesting application, but wasn't too sure as to how this was really novel. It was nice to see the application and use of sensors, but I could understand the drawbacks that the users stated they had. I kinda wonder if I had the opportunity to use such a device if I would have approached it as freely as they stated by the user. I think the lack of visual cues might make me question how to use the device and I'd have to experiment with it prior to feeling comfortable using it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that while this is an interesting topic, I don't really see what the practical, real-world use would be. If I had some first-hand experience with it I might change my mind, but until that time I remain skeptical that this product would see wide use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this last week and think it's an interesting study. It doesn't seem revolutionary, but it could be at least somewhat useful for everyone.

    I would actually be more interested in some study into keyboard + mouse interaction, rather than either one individually. I find jumping between the keyboard and mouse can sometimes be frustrating.

    ReplyDelete