Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Blog 0: Introduction Blog

Howdy,

My name is Jessica Gonzales. This is my blog for CSCE 436, Spring 2011. This is where I plan to post my thoughts and findings on CHI topics.

First off, here's a picture of me:

E-mail Address:
unknownletter (at) tamu (dot) edu

Class Standing:
Senior (6th year)

Why are you taking this class?
I've always found Human Computer Interaction an interesting topic. For as long as I can remember, computer's have always fascinated me. I think it's interesting how people interact with computers and technology in general. It's important to keep in mind the HCI aspect in technical applications in order to be effective and successful. Its become a goal of mine, by the end of the semester, to have explored and gain skills that will guide how I approach technical applications in my future endeavors.
I also think that Dr. Hammond's research and course is very interesting. I got the opportunity to learn about her research from other students that worked in her lab this past summer, so I think taking her course would be of great value.

What experience do you bring to this class?
A lot of my experience stems from my previous and current line of work. In High School I volunteered with a technical team which was in charge of helping teachers/staff with technical difficulties or technical training. In my early years of college I worked with Instructional Media Services as a technician and office manager. At IMS I did similar duties to my volunteer role in High School, only with more advanced equipment and various custom designed software applications servicing a wide area of the TAMU campus. My office manger role consisted of training the student workers in setting up or troubleshooting various levels of automated media equipment. Now, I am currently employed doing research in Human Robot Interaction for Dr. Murphy's lab, where I work on the software aspect of the Survivor Buddy project (along side Zackary Henkel).

What do you expect to be doing in 10 years?
I think its very interesting how this very question has changed so much for me. I originally dreamed of going into Visualization Science and working with animations and special effects. That's not so much the case now that 5-something years have pasted.
Perhaps by 2021 I will have graduated from Graduate School (either in computer science or in seminary, or both...interesting combination, I know, but once you get to know me you'll see how I'd like to pull those two together).
All that I'm really sure of right now is that I long to impact, help and serve people. That might be using my computer science skills or focused in another area, and I may be in the United States or perhaps somewhere else in the world.

What do you think will be the next biggest technological advancement in computer science?
I think we'll continue to see an advancement in using technology to help and enrich lives. Perhaps it's my unique circumstance, but I've always appreciated those that strive to apply technology so that it's more effective in benefiting people in different situations or circumstances. For example, the advancements within the medical field and search and rescue.

If you could travel back in time, who would you like to meet and why?
That's tough question to answer, as I would love to meet many people from history; however, if I had to pick one, I would say Jesus. He's the one man that lived a life that impacted and changed history. When you really look at and study the person, life and death of Jesus Christ (especially the objective reality of it all), it will forever change your world; but it would have been so awesome to have personally met Him living here on Earth.

What's your favorite style of mustache and why?
Umm... a well kept one. I think the why is self explanatory.

If you could be fluent in any foreign language that you're not already fluent in, which one would it be and why?
Estonian. It's a rare spoken language and I think it sounds really neat. For the past three years, when I wasn't enrolled in classes, during breaks, I've been a missionary in Estonia, so I've grown very fond of the people there.

Give some interesting fact about yourself
I was born with a mild case of Cerebral Palsy and its shaped my entire life, but its made me who I am today. Because I grew up coping with my disability it drove me to want to be intelligent in computers (technology in general), and has factored in my desire to want to serve, help and truly love others.

No comments:

Post a Comment